Hacienda Zuleta’s beautiful grounds are full of history dating back to the year 700 A.D. Once home to the ancient Caranqui people and later Galo Plaza Lasso, a former president of Ecuador, the hacienda is now a working dairy farm. Other projects include a Condor rescue centre and handicraft production that supports the local community.
Hacienda Zuleta boasts first class Andean hospitality and offers one of the most exclusive stables and horse riding experiences in Ecuador. It is known for its Zuleteño horses and many visitors go specifically for the hacienda’s 3 to 10-day riding programs. All-day rides are also popular and riders are treated to a luxurious 3-course picnic featuring gourmet Ecuadorian cuisine.
The spectacular scenery in the region includes snow-capped volcanoes, waterfalls and luscious green hills. Pre-Incan ruins found on the hacienda grounds are some of the most important in the country.
Zuleta is an ideal location for hiking and trekking since there are numerous trails for every fitness level and interest. Local, English-speaking guides are always on hand to help plan excursions and provide information along the way. Self-guided trails and roads are also available for those who prefer to venture out alone.
For a trip back in time, explore the hacienda in Zuleta’s horse drawn carriage. Other activities on site include mountain biking and birdwatching.
Zuleta’s mission is to ensure the survival of the Andean condor, an endangered specie, and the Condor Huasi project, supported by the Galo Plaza Foundation, has been quite sucessful. The hacienda is one of the only places in the Andes where guests are guaranteed to spot this majestic creature. Zuleta is also home to spectacled bears, various owls, pumas and many other species.
* Book through Ishpingo Tours and be automatically upgraded to a delux room (subject to availability).
- One night accommodation double or single standard room
- Traditional hacienda breakfast
- Lunch and dinner set menu
- Coffee, tea, water, natural juices, soft drinks and snacks
- Self-guided tours of the farm, chapel, stables, main house and library
- Self-guided hikes along the hacienda’s many trails
- WiFi in certain areas of the house
- Use of installations
- Cheese tasting
- Local taxes
Rates do not include:
- Additional food
- Alcoholic beverages
- Horseback riding, mountain bikes or specialised excursions requiring a guide
- Tips and personal expenses
- Close connection with the local communities
- Variety of activities offered
- Condor Huasi project
- Nearby attractions includng the Andean train
- Complimentary room upgrade *